Sunday, January 8, 2012

New Year, New Ideas...


It's been quite some time since I have put my Miss Kimmy Kaboodle hat on. Things came to a sudden halt last October when my Sister was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. It seemed like the moment I was told the news, all my creative energies had drained. Kind of like a plug that was pulled and there was nothing in me that wanted to paint, create, or make things new anymore. Most days, all I felt the urge to do was pray.

I also felt a strong need to declutter my life, both my physical space, as well as inside of me. I wanted more room for the most important things ...time with my family, more intentional time with God, and the ability to be called upon by those who needed me without interruption.

As time has gone on though, it has been interesting watching my Sister, and she has made me see the value in how doing the things you love, don't necessarily have to be put completely to the side when cancer enters your life.

My Sister loves to run as much as I love to paint. She gets as much joy from teaching spinning classes as I do shopping for junk at garage sales. Her spirit is lifted after a great work out just as much as mine is when I find that most unique thrift store treasure.

So about a week ago, she was in the hospital for another 5 day chemo treatment, and one of the nurses was walking by her room and saw her doing lunges. (Seriously...isn't that amazing?) So this nurse went into the hall closet at the hospital and pulled out a dusty treadmill and brought it in for my Sister to use.

After hearing that story, I looked around my house. The old ideas that decorated my home for the last couple of months faded, as new ones, fresh ones, came to mind. I pulled out my paint brushes and my thrift store punch card, and that little spark came back. It's flickering ever so carefully right now, but I do believe it has been re lit.

I am looking forward to a new year of blogging, using my new camera, and posting new ideas.
I have a few floating around in my head that should be shared soon...

...and a little time on the treadmill wouldn't hurt either.


~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment