Monday, January 9, 2012

So simple...

Simple Beauty.

I found it late last summer at an old barn sale. As I walked around the tables of old books and farm equipment, my eyes darting for treasure other people might look easily past, I saw this little jar of nails. For a dollar, I grabbed it quickly, without even contemplating. I'd know what to do with it later. When I got home I placed it on my hutch, and it has sat there ever since.

I haven't opened it up at all. I like it just the way it is. It reminds me of the conversation I had with the farmer who was selling his old stuff. He was proud of his tattered collections. And there were plenty of people like me who seemed to appreciate it as well.

One of the things I have grown to love the most in my quest to decorate my home on a budget, is finding and bringing to life items most people would throw away and deem as unusable, old and ugly.

But as I look at that little jar of nails with it's rusty old top, I can't help but wonder about the man who put those nails in that jar. And I think of that old farmer...walking up and down the rows of his stuff...chit chatting with his customers. I bet he worked hard in his day. I bet he has lots of stories.

I am looking forward to those days again...when the air warms up and the garage sale signs start popping up alongside those country roads. It's always an adventure... and I am always sure to find a story or two in the items I find and the people I meet.

I love decorating my house with stories. They make my heart smile as I scurry by to put in another load of laundry...

Simple beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment